Friday, November 7, 2014

Harry and the Hendersons

Here is part of a post I found in my "drafts" from about a year ago in October 2013:

I taught Chloe at an early age to watch television.  I mean, I had her on a pretty strict training schedule.  If you are wondering about the intensity of the daily regimen, I would compare it to something similar to training for the Olympics, or something like that.  She got pretty good at watching television.  She is a fast learner, and a dedicated athlete.  We started with Sesame Street: baby stuff, literally.  We moved on to Dora, then to her kind of sexy cousin, Diego.  Things started to spiral out of control after I made the discovery that we had Nickelodeon.  We never knew this, because we never bothered with the channels that were not delivered in HD, because it burns my eyes.  We hit rock bottom I'd say somewhere in the middle of a SpongeBob Square Pants and Cow and Chicken marathon on Cartoon Network.  I'm getting really off track here.  Point is, Chloe is really good at watching TV whenever anyone needs a little break from her madness. 

Abram, on the other hand, does not ever even glance in the direction of the glowy picture shows.  He is immune to the beauty of it all.  He is above it: the lowest of all forms of human entertainment.  Why would he bother with the TV when he could be raiding the snack cabinet saying, "nack, nack, nack" or raiding the fridge saying, "cheeez, cheeez, cheeez" or raiding the pantry saying, "coo-kee, coo-kee, coo-kee."  He hasn't yet figured out that eating while watching TV is the true American way.  So, all of this, all of this babbling is just unnecessary, because what I really want to say is that we finally found a show that Abram likes to watch.  It's a movie, actually, and if you were alive in the late 80's you might know of it: Harry and the Hendersons.  This little dude will sit there with his giant, blue eyes glued to the screen for the entire movie. 

That is where it ends.  I totally forgot about that and it makes me sad that having two kids has basically derailed this whole blogging business.  I'm going to do my best to jot down a few stories here and there to remember the little things.  Like the movie that turned Abram into a TV watching genius.  Add to that The Sandlot, The Goonies, Ghostbusters, and any other classic 80's/90's kid classic.  Watching TV with Abram is so much better than watching it with Chloe.  Kid's got taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment